top of page
Search

CBP Touts Duties Collected Since May

  • Dec 22, 2025
  • 1 min read

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) says in a recent news release that it has collected over $1 billion in duties on more than 246 million low-cost shipments since the administration began phasing out the de minimis loophole in May 2025 (China and Hong Kong on May 2 and the rest of the world on August 29), “recovering a record amount of revenue that had previously gone uncollected.”

Since de minimis ended for China and Hong Kong, CBP seizures of unsafe and non-compliant low-value goods have increased by 82 percent, the agency says. These included counterfeits, narcotics, faulty electronics, and goods containing hazardous chemicals.

CBP says the volume of packages entering the U.S. continues to grow as importers adapt to CBP’s updated de minimis policies. The end of the de minimis exemption aligns with CBP’s broader trade enforcement initiatives aimed at ensuring compliance with U.S. customs regulations and safeguarding domestic industries.

CBP also issued its de minimis data through FY 2025, which were, of course, impacted by the end of the DM exemption. In addition, its page with trade statistics provides the tariffs collected in FY2025, broken down by trade remedy.

 
 
 

Recent Posts

See All
New Postal Informal Entry Rules Take Effect

Customs and Border Protection’s new process for informal entry of postal shipments took effect on July 24, the same day as the new Section 301 tariffs that the Trump administration imposed. This is no

 
 
 
UK Sets Course for New Customs Regime

The United Kingdom (UK) government recently published a policy paper and draft legislation that sets the course for abolishing the £135 customs duty relief on low-value goods no later than October 202

 
 
 

Comments


bottom of page